William Samuel Johnson Elementary School
Construction of William Samuel Johnson Elementary School was completed in the fall of 1954. Originally scheduled to open in September, construction wouldn't be completed until December, despite the best efforts of Superintendent Jeffrey and Mayor McLevy. In the meantime Johnson students attended Hallen School until, finally, Samuel Johnson Elementary opened it's doors in January 1955 to over 600 students. Construction cost around $1.3 million.
From the February 16th, 1955 edition of the Bridgeport Telegram...
Our school was named for Dr. William Samuel Johnson, a well-known lawyer from Stratford and President of Columbia University. He helped draft the U.S. Constitution in 1787 and was one of only two people from Connecticut to sign it.
In a 1957 article from the Bridgeport Telegram, it was claimed that Johnson school "was severely overcrowded, despite being opened only a few years ago."
Park City Magnet School
In 1979 a committee of administrators, community members and teachers established two school programs under the new Magnet School Concept. These schools were Park City Magnet-North Campus and High Horizons.
William Samuel Johnson Elementary School was renamed, and Park City Magnet - North Campus opened for the 1980-1981 school year. During that first year, enrollment consisted of students in Kindergarten through fifth grade. A new grade would be added each year, and PCM's first 8th grade class graduated in the Spring of 1984.
Although still officially known as Park City Magnet - North Campus, the latter was dropped, and today we proudly go by simply Park City Magnet. Presently our enrollment is over 500 students and includes Pre-Kindergarten, Specialized Instruction, and grades Kindergarten through Eight. While instruction is provided in all subject areas, Park City Magnet's focus is on Science and Technology.