Multicultural Magnet School
National Junior Honor Society
Guidelines effective January 2005
Purpose : To create enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote leadership, to develop character and to encourage citizenship throughout the student body.
Eligible Students :
· Grades 6 -8
· Academic Scholarship - Minimum grade point average of 3.2 in all subject areas. In addition, the student should not have any grades of D or F in any subject areas including minor subjects such as Tech Ed., Physical Education, etc. Sixth grade students must receive 3’s and 4’s in work habits and all behavioral and special areas. Seventh and eighth graders must receive 1’s and 2’s in conduct, homework and effort in all areas.
· Demonstrated outstanding performance in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, character and citizenship.
· Review for student eligibility for NJHS membership begins the 4th marking period of each academic year and the student's eligibility is continuously reviewed during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd marking periods of the following year.
Example: Review of student's 5th grade report card for the 4th marking period and review of student's 6th grade report card in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd marking periods.
· Five staff members appointed by the principal
· Determines student eligibility for NJHS
· Considers matters regarding non-selection, dismissal, warning and other disciplinary actions.